Here is an overview of the types of closing costs you may incur on your loan. Some are one-time fees, while others reoccur over the life of the loan. When you apply for your loan, you will receive a Good Faith Estimate of Settlement Charges, and a booklet that will explain these costs in detail.Jump to Mortgage Calculator
First, Determine One Time Fees
There are different types of closing costs you may incur on your loan. These types of closing costs are one-time fees you will pay at closing.
- Covers the lender's administrative costs.
- Often expressed as a percentage of the loan typically 1%.
- You can obtain a loan with no origination fee and a slightly higher interest rate.
- Often called "points"
- Adjust the yield on the loan to what market conditions demand.
- One point is equal to 1% of the loan amount.
- Pays for an appraisal, which is a statement of property value
- Cost a standard $300 to $450
- Made by an independent fee appraiser
- Covers the cost of the credit report
- Run by an independent credit reporting agency
- Usually about $60-$75.
- There are two title policies: a lender's and buyer's
- One protects the lender against loss due to defects on title
- One protects you, usually is $200
- Should be disclosed by your mortgage lender at loan application
- Vary dramatically from about $450 to $900.
Then, Pay Upfront Costs
Now that you are ready to close on your home ther eare some upfront fees that need to be paid.
- Depending on the time of month your loan closes
- May have to pay the maximum amount
- May have to pay a few days' interest
- May have to pay an up-front fee for mortgage insuranc
- Protects the lender against loss due to foreclosure
- May have to put a certain amount into a special reserve account held by the lender for PMI
- Account where your property taxes and property insurance will be held
- Started with taxes approximately equal to two months in excess of the number of months that have elapsed this year
Lastly, Your Mortgage
So, you've got some ideas of what your loan might look like. Now play around with our monthly mortgage calculator to estimate your monthly mortgage payments. Not only will this help you budget and get prepared, it'll help determine the price range for your home search.